We are looking for people passionate about local food, farming, and education to join the team at New Village Farm for Summer 2017.
Summer Camp Counselor
Our Summer Camp counselors are the backbone of our summer here at New Village. We host around 200 campers over the course of the summer, many of whom return year after year because they love the blend of freedom, responsibility, experience and fun that the counselors bring to the program!
We are looking for two counselors for our Farm & Garden programs (ages 5-12, plus CITs from age 12 on).
One position is for a counselor for the younger set aged 5-8, our staple program which involves farming, gardening, play and nature crafts.
The other position is for a counselor for the older campers (aged 9-12), this group accompanies the younger set through the morning. Later they head off for wilderness activities, such as foraging, tracking, fort building, whittling, bow drill fire making,etc. Goats will be accompanying these wilderness expeditions.
- Relevant educational or childcare experience
- Ability to direct and manage a mixed-age group, outside, all day!
- Experience working in a natural or farm setting preferred
- Endless creativity and ability to improvise (artists welcome!)
- Professional and compassionate interpersonal skills
- A passion for nature awareness, mindfulness, and creativity
Responsibilities will include:
- Welcoming campers and parents to the farm
- Managing the arc of the camp day, including farm chores (milking, chicken chores, garden tasks, etc)
- Teaching weekly nature crafts (weaving with cattails, spinning wool, clay, etc)and developing curriculum depending on the theme
- Mediating challenges within the group
- Teaching and practicing safe farm boundaries and rules
- Co-leading with our other counselor, and working with and around other farm staff
- Managing CIT program (extra meeting time, mentoring, etc)
Counselor position runs from M-F, 8:30-3:30pm, with extended days on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for CIT meetings. Program runs from June 12-August 25th, with many opportunities to work with students on-farm prior to the beginning of the camp season.
Hourly wage of $11-$14, dependent on experience.
Please send letter of interest and resumé to Michaela@newvillagefarm.com
Part-Time After Care Counselor
We are looking for a compassionate, creative educator for our After Care program. Many of our campers stay after the farm camp day has ended, and we need someone who can keep spirits high and react to the needs of kiddos who have spent their whole day exploring outside.
- Relevant childcare experience (ages 5-13 is a plus)
- Love of experiential learning (all activities will be on-farm)
- Willingness to get dirty!
- Interest in mindfulness with children
- Ability to independently manage tasks
- Design daily curriculum for exhausted campers from 3-5:30pm
- Communicate with camp counselors regarding the activities of the week
- Engage campers in fun and relaxing activities around the farm
- Integrate afternoon farm chores and maintenance into curriculum
- Familiarize self with ins and outs of the farm
Position will be from 3:00-5:30pm M-F, about 12-13 hours/week. Position runs June 12th through August 25th.
Please send letter of interest and resumé to Michaela at Michaela@newvillagefarm.com